Online and in-person consultations
The consultation process
Welcome to the practice. I look forward to helping you with your journey from getting ‘unhealthy’ to ‘healthy.’
Initial consultation: Most people get the most out of the 45 minutes consultation instead of the shorter initial consultation. Apart from the info on the questionnaires, we cover lifestyle habits, environmental toxins, medication use and its effects, and if time permits, delve into your emotional and physical trauma history.Some lifestyle recommendations are discussed, and a few medications/supplements may be prescribed. Most often, blood tests are necessary and are usually done before the next consultation at the second visit which is 2-3 weeks later.
Second consultation: A follow-up consult is done with your blood results. Having the full picture, I now start to formulate a long term recovery plan with you. The next consult is anywhere between 4 – 6 weeks.
Following consultations: This is patient specific as the healing process for each person is different and also because of the extent of the lifestyle changes you implemented. These consults can be between 15min- 45min and vary from monthly to six monthly. In my experience, I have noticed that although there’s a quick change with your symptoms, true resolution only happens down the line. It is important to be patient, persevere with the lifestyle changes, keep an open mind and maintain self-awareness.
Consultations can be:
- Face to face
- Virtual (Skype/Teams/ Zoom)
- 15 min (R720)
- 30 min (R1300)
- 45 min (R1800)
- Laser treatment (R232 – R720)
- Script fee (R130)
- Medical Letter (R200)
- Urine tests, injections, laser treatments, ECG’s and other procedures are charged for in addition to the consultation fee.
- Should you exceed your time, you will be charged for the longer consultation.
- Please call or WhatsApp us on 0126632732 to book your appointment.
- Please note– no WhatsApp calls or voicenotes.
- Please note that no medical advice will be given telephonically, via email or WhatsApp.
- An instruction sheet will be given to you at each consultation. Please implement them one at a time, and only when you are ready.
- Please note that our Email / WhatsApp is offline outside of our practice hours.
- Emergency after hour Skype consultations : send Dr a message on Skype to schedule (hemakalan.3).
- Please arrive a few minutes prior to your appointment time. In the case that you are late, your treatment will be shortened so that we may keep on schedule for our next patients. You will be charged for a full appointment.
- Our offices are a cellphone/device free zone so to please switch to AIRPLANE mode before entering.
Range of Services
- Annual physical examinations
- Insurance physical examinations
- Standard GP consultations (Acute & chronic conditions)
- Integrative consultations
- Laser therapy consultations
- Lifestyle medicine consultations
- Electromagnetic field medicine
- Booster injections (Homeopathic)
- Couriering of medication
- Nutritional supplements
- Bio-identical hormones
- Herbal medicines
- Homeopathic medication
- Energy medicine (infra-red laser)
- Pharmaceutical drugs
- All supplements are to be paid in full at the time of consultation.
- Some supplements may not be reimbursed by your medical aid, depending on your plan..
- No medications are returnable under any circumstances.
- Compounded meds, specially ordered for you need to be paid in full at the time of the order.
- Chronic scripts are only valid for 6 months, after which a consultation is required.
- Inside during practice hours
- From Ampath box outside the practice(after practice hours)
- Courier to your home or work at a fee.
The practice of Dr Hema Kalan combines conventional medicine wisdom with natural medicine. The principles of this practice are based on Integrative Medicine, a primary health care system, in which the body has an inherent ability to heal itself given the right tools. The focus is based on finding the ‘root cause’ of illness rather than just treating the symptoms.
Treatment modalities provided are based on functional and science based medicine. These include pharmaceutical drugs combined with supplements & Herbal/Chinese/Ayurvedic medicine. The practice uses some diagnostic and treatment methods that some may consider unconventional.
Most medical doctors only pay attention to the ‘disease’. In this practice we focus on health and how to optimise health in order to prevent or heal a disease.
Nutritional supplements such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, herbs and homeopathic medicine will be recommended as these products are natural to the body. Some of these products are not available at pharmacies. These are available at the practice for the convenience of patients. The products we recommend are of highest quality internationally. You are in no way obligated to purchase these products from this office and can choose to purchase them elsewhere.
Tests are sometimes ordered that may be considered by consensus of mainstream medicine to be either unnecessary or of no value. These may include tests for nutritional status, hormone levels, heavy metals, chronic viruses/bacteria or for food allergies. Normal blood tests at the local laboratories are also suggested but these can be very pricey. Please ensure that you get a quote before proceeding. Also ask us about cheaper options available in South Africa. Our approach is to always support your health no matter what lifestyle decisions or treatment options you choose.
It has taken many years for symptoms and signs to manifest as a disease and so by the time we see you, there are often multiple issues that need to be addressed. The healing process is different for each person and the body will heal when it wants to heal. There can be no guarantee on how long a full recovery will take for each person. It is important to be patient, persevere with the lifestyle changes, keep an open mind and maintain self-awareness.
Your contact details provided will be used to send statements of accounts, contact you or send notifications if and when deemed necessary by the practice. You will be added to our newsletter and WhatsApp broadcast list. You can unsubscribe at any time. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Every small step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step.